Death by Didgeridoo

 

Death by Didgeridoo: A Jamie Quinn Mystery

Written by: Barbara Venkataraman
Barbaras' Goodreads Page
Narrated by: Carrie Lee Martz
Length: 2 hrs and 12 mins
Series: Jamie Quinn, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Whispersync for Voice-enabled
Audible.com

Publishers' Summary

Reluctant lawyer, Jamie Quinn, still reeling from the death of her mother, is pulled into a game of deception, jealousy, and vengeance when her cousin, Adam, is wrongfully accused of murder. It's up to Jamie to find the real murderer before it's too late. It doesn't help that the victim is a former rock star with more enemies than friends, or that Adam confessed to a murder he didn't commit.

My Review

This was a really short listen, but packed a lot of story in to a couple of hours.
A bit slow to hook my interest, it did gain some momentum especially once we had learned a little more about Jamie.
Jamie and her aunt were both grieving the loss of a much loved mother and sister, this grief, rather than uniting them more strongly, had somehow caused them to lose their closeness.
When Adam, Jamies much loved cousin, is accused of murder, his overwrought mother turns to her niece, Jamie, to help them through this terrible ordeal. It is all so much more difficult for Adam to cope with as he is autistic, but his mother and cousin understand him well, and they help him by using all the coping strategies they know.
As far as the mystery goes, well, we do get a few clues, but are they red herrings? You must listen and find out!

Narrator

Unfortunately, I just could not adjust to the narration, I found Carrie Lee Martz' voice to be too hard and a tad nasal, to me, she sounded like one of the Kardashian girls, sort of tight throated or something, (I apologise for my lack of correct terminology). I really didn't care much for her portrayal of a person with autism nor did I enjoy listening to her interpretation of a drunk. I felt that some of the characters were overdone, overacted.
You know, this is just a personal preference, so don't be put off by my observations, be sure to listen to the sample and make up your own mind. I believe Carrie has received some very good reviews for her work.
This audiobook was gifted to me in return for this, my honest opinion.
 
 
 
 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Audiobook and Book Reviews by Audiothing • THEME BY Maira Gall