Caught

Author: Harlan Coben
 
Narrators: Carrington MacDuffie, Danny Campbell
 
Unabridged 10 hours and 53 minutes
 
Release date: 23/03/10
 
Publisher: Random House Audio
 
audible.com
 
5 STAR REVIEW
 
SUMMARY
 
"Seventeen-year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the community assumes the worst.
 
Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate and nationally televised sting operations. Working with local police on her news program Caught in the Act, Wendy and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men by the time she encounters her latest target. Dan Mercer is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined.
 
In a novel that challenges as much as it thrills, filled with the astonishing tension and unseen suburban machinations that have become Coben's trademark, Caught tells the story of a missing girl, the community stunned by her loss, the predator who may have taken her, and the reporter who suddenly realizes she can't trust her own instincts about this story - or the motives of the people around her."
 
©2010 Harlan Coben (P)2010 Random House
 
MY REVIEW
 
I just loved this book, it is honest to goodness entertainment from beginning to end. In truth, I was a bit surprised by my enjoyment because the first and last Harlan Coben novel I had previously read was "Play Dead", a novel set in North Queensland. I was living there at the time and, well, let's just say I didn't much enjoy the book!
 
The beginning of "Caught" is told from Danny Mercers' point of view, of how, by responding to a call for help from the mysterious Chynna, his life as he knew it was changed forever. The story then continues from Wendys' point of view, if you've read the blurb then you will know that Danny was the latest mark for her TV show "Caught in the Act" which basically, casts the mark as being guilty without benefit of trial or jury. Human nature being what it is, even if subsequently proven innocent in a court of law, the victims' reputation is ruined.
 
Wendy later becomes interested in the disappearance of Hayly McWaid, a high school senior who simply fails to come home one night, her mother doesn't discover this until next morning. Yes, I did have to ask myself, what sort of mother goes to sleep before her child comes home! Anyhow, back to Wendy, bright breezy, confident Wendy whose world has started turning in all the wrong directions - and I can't tell you why! In fact there's not a great deal more I can reveal without spoilers. Suffice to say, that now my academic years are behind me, I read primarily to be entertained, so, what with the sky high entertainment value and the wonderful characters in this story and the many totally unexpected twists and unconventional turns, this book absolutely fitted my bill. A darned good read. "Caught" is a standalone novel
 
NARRATOR
 
Danny Campbell kicks off the story as Dan Mercer, and an excellent job he did too! The star of the show for me though is the amazing Campbell MacDuffie she became Wendy Tynes, clearly defining all her emotional changes from the somewhat arrogant, confident and snarky TV reporter to the woman who began to doubt her own abilities and judgements. I loved the way her voice and delivery changed with each character. I had no problems with gender changes, in fact I didn't really notice them which is a good thing. Pace and timing were just right. I can't comment on accents, as apart from the Southern States, they all sound pretty much the same to me! I'll certainly be looking out for more of Carrington MacDuffie.
 
I received this audiobook, without condition, from Tekreads monthly draw
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Audiobook and Book Reviews by Audiothing • THEME BY Maira Gall