This Doesn't Happen in the Movies

 

Written by: Renee Pawlish

Narrated by: Johnny Peppers

Length: 5 hrs and 32 mins

Series: Reed Ferguson, Book 1

Unabridged Audiobook

Release Date:03-31-14

Publisher: Renee Pawlish - author

Available from Audible.com

4 STARS

My Review

First up, if you take this book seriously then you probably won't like it, I could be wrong (what?) but I reckon it's a wry take on noir. The writing and narration style will take you straight back to those old detective the difference being in the dry humour.

This is Reeds' very first case, his Dad doesn't think it's a real job, so he has to prove him wrong, not that he needs the money as Reed hails from a very wealthy family. He just wants to be a P.I., he has read all the books and watched all of the films so is well prepared for his new career!
First client measures up well as a film noir player, well coiffed, lipsticked and perfumed she also has a strange tale to tell, he did think her story was a tad odd, but how could he refuse?
 
The adventure begins! Reed is to look for a man who may or may not be dead, he simply didn't come home at the expected time. At this point in the "whodunnit" we don't as yet know what was actually done, let alone who actually did it. This is what makes the story a little different and as its a short listen of 5 hours thirty minutes, there's not a lot I can say without revealing spoilers.
 
There are some interesting characters, but as the first book in a series and a short one at that, they will become more interesting as they are developed. It's all there though, the making of a darned good series, I look forward to learning a whole lot more about Reed, his family and his crazy friends. Oh! And was that just a hint of a budding romance at the end?
 

Narrator

My first "Johnny Peppers" listen, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I thought he was just the perfect performer for this role. Good timing, rhythm and pace along with good quality editing and recording added to my enjoyment.
 
This audiobook was gifted to me in return for this, my honest review.
 
 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Audiobook and Book Reviews by Audiothing • THEME BY Maira Gall